Wednesday 26 August 2009

The shadow leads when the sun is behind

The shadow goes first when the sun lights up the path. It explores, with first experience, the newness. That which light made visible, it covers. And when the sun shines into my eyes, my shadow extends back over the path I've travelled, relishing my steps.

The first draft of "Under The Arabian Moon" has ended, I am without shadow - temporarily. For the light shines from two directions - the light of experience, illuminating the past, and the light of hopes and dreams illuminating the path ahead, obscured by my shadow, but also delineated by it.

Is it being pushed forward by the sun, or pulling itself away?

To look backwards - much was achieved. More than I had imagined possible - effects of multicoloured shadows, projection using OHP, but the most telling, moving images were the simplest - shadow theatre. That is where my first love lies, and where my direction of travel and development is likely to be headed.

To look forwards - I hope to achieve much more. In October, I go off to Schwabisch Gemeund, a small town in Germany to attend a workshop and performances at the Triennial International Shadow Theatre Festival. Technical knowledge is a must, and hopefully networking and discussion will lead to opportunities to share knowledge, develop work.

No comments:

Post a Comment